What We Do
- Makens Bemont House
- Goodwin Schoolhouse
- Burnham Blacksmith Shop
- Brewer House
How To Join
To Contact Us
SNET 2000 Mil Grant
East Hartford Refs
The Historical Society of East Hartford works to promote an
understanding by the public of life in early East Hartford by sponsoring
programs and events of historical interest, by guiding visitors through its
museums, and by preserving its collections of local antiques.
The Society holds its annual dinner meeting with an historical program in September.
Regular meetings are held at the Raymond Library, 840 Main Street, East Hartford (860-289-6429) in November, January, March, and May usually on the 3rd Wednesday of the month. There is a business meeting followed by a program of historical interest. The meeting starts at 7:00pm and ends by 9:00pm.
The public is welcome to attend these meetings. Except for the September dinner there is no fee. Donations are always welcome.
Check the listings under 'Programs' to verify locations, dates, and times.
The Society maintains a three building complex in East Hartford's Martin Park on Burnside Ave for showcasing facets of the city's history:
Over the years the Society has presented historical displays, teas, and events. Recent highly regarded shows were The Old Quilt Show, Bridal Gowns Through the Years, an Old-fashioned Ice Cream Social fund raiser, the reenactment of a Reading Room in Baxter Springs, Kansas in the Summer of 1865 at a local Civil War Reenactment, the celebration of the Installation of the East Hartford Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route Marker at the Raymond Library.
From May through October the Society offers investigations by interested paranormal organizations at the museum buildings. The Martin Park site has an active history of paranormal activity. Teams throughout New England have visited. We have a suggested donation of $10 per person payable on the night of a scheduled investigation. If interested, contact the Society at our e-mail address email@example.com.
The Society has continually suppported the preservation of older buildings in East Hartford. While not always successful there have been notable successes in saving and restoring the Huguenot House, the Goodwin Schoolhouse, and the Blacksmith Shop and moving them to Martin Park, in saving and restoring the Brewer House and moving it to the corner of Main and Naubuc Sts, and in saving and restoring the early 1900s Comstock Building on Main St.
The Society helps those living in East Hartford date their homes and sells date placques for homes built before 1900.
For a number of years the Historical Society has awarded an excelling high school student, having an interest in history, with a book on the history of East Hartford as an encouragement to continue his/her interest for a lifetime.